Friday, August 14, 2009

Trailer Trash: The August 14th Quickie

Week 2 of my non-Gang Bang Trailer Trash series continues. Though I enjoyed the photo-centric format of last week, with eight films releasing in theaters today, I thought it best to go the straight-forward route this week.

Here's the release list according to IMDb:


District 9 (08.14) Extraterrestrial detainees. Those two words alone should intrigue anyone to run out to see this. The mix of news broadcasts and handheld camera action is reminiscent of the awesome 28 Days Later and [REC]. I saw the teaser posters for D-9 at SDCC '08. I'm glad the wait is finally over!


Verdict:
Moist With Antici...Pation!


Grace (08.14 ltd.) The glimpses of story shown are twisted, disturbing and disgusting...some of the sickest stuff I've seen. Long and short of it, I've got my fingers crossed this will open here! For the rest of you, your willingness to see this should hinge on how the words 'undead baby' make you feel.


Verdict: Moist With Antici...Pation!


Paper Heart (08.14 ltd.) The Apatow crew hasn't worked in like, what, two weeks? Time to release a new movie. Now it's Knocked Up Jodi's turn to floor audiences with a quirky faux documentary about love. I could probably take it or leave it were it not for these two words: Michael Cera.



Verdict:
Moist With Antici...Pation!


Ponyo (08.14) It's rare that a non-computer animated kid's film even opens anymore. The only time one hits the mainstream is when there's a fantastic reason to see it. The two words I associate with the most fantastical and moving tales conceivable: Hayao Miyazaki



Verdict: Moist With Antici...Pation!


The Goods: Live Hard, Sell Hard (08.14) Two words: Dumbass comedy. You could also say 'lowbrow comedy' or 'ridiculous shenanigans' if you're not into the whole brevity thing. Point is, the trailer makes it look like a laugh riot, but without any huge names (Sorry Piv) I plan to go in being cautiously optimistic.


Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


The Time Traveler's Wife (08.14) Having not read the novel, the trailer doesn't really convey why this is worth the acclaim. I just see a dirty old man who gets his rocks off with his wife from her childhood to adulthood. Plus, he has the excuse that he's 'time traveling' when the arguing ensues. It's not completely lost on me though thanks to these two words: Rachel McAdams.

Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


It Might Get Loud (08.14 ltd.) Lots of two word pairings could describe this flick: Jimmy Page, Jack White, The Edge, Electric Guitar. I've always been a big fan of White, but this is still a documentary at it's core which isn't my favorite type of film. But the kind I do enjoy; Music Documentary.


Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


Spread (08.14 ltd.) Though it appears to be the Ashton and Demi story, it's more about a boy toy being tossed about the cougar's den. I'm curious as to why the sexy Margarita Levieva is now, after several movies, getting an 'Introducing' credit, but not enough to see this. If only the words 'Male Whore' had been 'Fred Garvin,' then we'd have a movie worth watching.

Verdict: Exercise the Right To Cinematic Celibacy.


Bandslam (08.14) Two words: Walden Media. This doesn't look painfully offensive to my delicate sensibilities, but unless Aly and Hudgens do some hardcore making out before the big Bandslam, I'll pass on this teenie-bopper fare starring a Shia LaBeouf wannabe.



Verdict: Exercise the Right To Cinematic Celibacy.

***

After the onslaught of this week's end-of-summer smorgasbord, next week promises to be much lighter with only half the number of releases. Come back next week to see what's in store.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

10 comments:

  1. District 9! District 9! I can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Friend-Mouse- Don't wait too long.

    @Zach- Saw it yesterday, awesome. Can't wait to post my review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I just see a dirty old man who gets his rocks off with his wife from her childhood to adulthood."

    Thank you. I thought I was the only one to think that when I first saw the trailer for this.
    -Jason

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, I'm thinking they could've left out the scene with him meeting her at age 5...at least drop it from the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @film-book: That's good to know. It'll never open here, so if I ever rent it, it will be just to kill a couple hours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I did rent LtROI a couple months back. Phenomenal movie. I can't wait to see how they'll screw it up in the American version. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great. Which version did you rent?

    http://film-book.com/let-the-right-one-in-missing-the-theatrical-subtitles/

    Its been nominated for ten Scream Awards this year.

    http://film-book.com/scream-2009-awards-nominees/

    ReplyDelete