Friday, October 5, 2007

Trailer Trash: The Heartbreak Kid

"Malin Akerman just realized that she's in a film with Ben Stiller"

Trailer Trash:
To defame a film based solely on the value of its trailer before attending the screening.

Sometime earlier this year I was subjected to the first trailer for "The Heartbreak Kid."

I haven't trusted the Farrelly Brothers since subjecting movie-goers to "Fever Pitch." Stiller can have an occasionally inspired moment but I think he'll have none here (just like he had none in "Night at the Museum"). I mean, I can count on one hand the number of truly funny starring roles he's had and I would still have a finger free for Stiller to sit and spin. I don't know if I should lament more for "Daily Show" funnyman Rob Corddry or up-and-comer Malin Akerman for the imminent destruction of their acting future.

Everything about the trailers make this look like the equivalent of nails on a chalkboard. Having suffered a barrage of television and theatrical spots for this film's impending arrival has shown me that the studio's faith in this film lies wholly in watching Akerman bitch-slap Stiller in bed, which is shown in nearly every variation of the trailer.

Who knows, I may just be in a bitter and foul mood because trailers tout this film as the funniest R-rated comedy of the year...guess they forgot they're contending with "Knocked Up" and "Superbad" for that title. Heck, I'd even throw "Reno 911!: Miami" as a better bet than this.

To quote Stiller "Da duh di da dum! Da duh di da dum" Da duh di da dumb ass movie!

Large Association of Movie Blogs

1 comment:

  1. Couldn't agree more. I wrote pretty much the same thing yesterday. What a hack he's become. "Fever Pitch" looks awesome by comparison.

    Amazingly, the reviews I've seen so far are prett positive. Color me shocked.

    ReplyDelete