Monday, July 6, 2009

MMM: Returning to the Grind

I've got three reasons to post this week's mood music selection. First, it's the Monday after a three day weekend and, if you're like me, it's a struggle to return to the daily grind. I'd much rather prefer another day, week, month, or year off if it were possible. Since I didn't win the lottery on the Fourth, that dream will be deferred a few more days.

Secondly, I love this band and it's a crying shame I haven't featured them long before now. My friends and I saw Huey Lewis and the News in concert back in 2003 and it was a blast! It probably helped that we were third row center, close enough to see the embroidery on Huey's gold suit. Koka Booth amphitheater is already an intimate venue, but at that range we were within ten feet of Huey most of the concert. That's way better than his father-in-law, a local resident who was crammed in the back with the masses (no joke).

I could talk on and on about my love for HL&tN, but instead, I'll leave you with the biggest reason I chose them for this week's mood music. Huey Lewis turned 59 yesterday, July 5. This is a belated birthday wish for Mr. Cregg.

As I trudge through this post-holiday Monday, I will preoccupy my mind with some fun tunes from a band that's been entertaining us for nearly thirty years, starting now:

Huey Lewis and the News - Workin' for a Livin'


They really do put on an awesome concert, full of energy and great music. Here's hoping they make the rounds again in the near future. Who do you wish would come 'round your neck of the woods?

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. Huey and the News have a special place for me, if only because we're both from the Bay Area (I was born in San Jose). I'm not a great fan, but I proudly own their greatest hits.

    But I gotta say, as a movie fan...how could you not pick Power of Love? :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. At a minimum, everyone should own their greatest hits.

    You just don't know how tempted I was to chose Power of Love! But I do like to keep folks guessing.

    ReplyDelete