Monday, September 14, 2009

MMM: Happenstance

There's lots happening this week. As such, it was quite difficult to select an appropriate Monday Mood Music. I had to consider that this week marks one year since I started this weekly feature. Aside from the imposed medical hiatus taken in the fall of last year, the MMMs have fared much better than a few other Reel Whore features.

I debated long and hard how to celebrate this milestone, even thinking I'd post another song from Norah Jones, the MMMs original inspiration. Instead, I thought it best to focus on another great artist. Thinking back through my concert experiences, I realized Nelly Furtado was one of my fonder memories yet she's never been featured here.

For those who don't know, this week Nelly is releasing her fourth studio album. That's right fourth. Most people forget about her second album Folklore; a shame considering it features some great songwriting. This fourth album will be the first Spanish language album for the Portugese-Canadian singer. Furtado started with a folky sound and unique vocal styling which evolved into a hip-hop vibe so I'm curious to see what direction she takes with her Spanish sound.

Sadly, I couldn't find a video that grabbed me from her Folklore album. Instead, I chose the second and most popular single from her debut album Whoa, Nelly! Watching this live version brought me back to that concert nearly a decade ago. The only difference here is I recall her wearing a different colored tight shirt at our show.

Nelly Furtado - Turn off the Light

Nelly Furtado has come a long way considering what a tiny venue my buddy and I saw her in back then. Coincidentally, Nelly's newest album releases the week of same-said buddy's birthday who has shook many a night away to Spanish music. It's the perfect gift to get her and it'll be a total surprise since that slacker always forgets to read my blog! How serendipitous.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

3 comments:

  1. I like the song TRY off her Folklore album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Haven't visited your lovely site in a while, so I thought I'd stop by.

    Love the redesign & tones of soothing red and grey. Like crawling into a hooker's womb.

    I'm still writing a movie and TV blog (http://sloblogs.thetribunenews.com/shelikestowatch/) and Tweeting (username: shelikestowatch). Drop by sometime and say hi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Andrew: Try is a good song. I think Forca is my favorite from Folklore. I do like Saturdays, but mainly b/c she cracks up during it.

    @Sarah: Glad you approve of the updated look. I'm still refining, it should just keep getting better. I need to swing by. I get the email updates, but I admit I've been delinquent in reading lately with my vacation and the redesign taking up more time than I planned.

    ReplyDelete