Friday, February 24, 2012

Trailer Trash: February 24 of 2012

For me, this weekend marks the beginning of a long box office drought. After seeing the trailers for these lackluster releases, I peaked into March only to discover there are hardly any enticing new releases. I guess I'll finally have the time I've been wanting to catch up on my rental queue. Maybe the outlook will improve, but who knows, maybe one of these will appeal to you.

Act of Valor Seven trailers preceding my screening of Safe House. Afterward I could recall all but one of them, both terrible and terrific. Days later, an Act of Valor TV promo clicked as the seventh trailer I'd seen. I mention this because I've seen this trailer a hundred times and it doesn't look bad, but it is one of the most uninteresting, forgettable trailers airing. Maybe the film is better, but I, for one, won't be finding out. 


Verdict:  Exercise the Right to Cinematic Celibacy.
 

Gone I, much like my friend Dylan, dig Amanda Seyfried. If I lived in LA, I would not stalk her necessarily, but we'd probably bump into each other A LOT. Unfortunately, Miss Amanda's project choices since Chloe haven't cut the mustard. I was still planning to get my Seyfried fix until I learned Gone is from the writer of Untraceable and I still can't forgive Diane Lane for that. I'm opting to maintain my good feelings toward Amanda. 

Verdict:  Exercise the Right to Cinematic Celibacy.



Tyler Perry's Good Deeds I've been avoiding trailers for this like the plague, but for you, my readers, I watched them all last night. From a script perspective, this looks surprisingly appealing. Thandie Newton is giving it her all and it's always good to see Gabrielle Union working without Morris Chestnut. I'd be first in line this weekend save for one thing; Tyler Perry plays the main character. On second thought, Morris and Gabrielle together would've been preferable.


Verdict:  Exercise the Right to Cinematic Celibacy.

 

Wanderlust My affection for Paul Rudd has been made pretty clear and Role Models is one of my favorite comedies of recent memory, but the trailers for this are a major turn off. It's not even that Aniston is co-starring with her beau Theroux so much as it these weak-ass trailers. I should hope for a humorous Martha Marcy May Marlene, but then where's John Hawkes? Somebody, help me off this fence!


Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.

It's not too bad that none of the new releases are must-sees. We've got the Oscars on Sunday! Has everyone picked their winners?

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. I hear you, we ended up reviewing stuff we could stream this week as the new releases looked awful.

    Enjoyed checking out your blog.

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by! I actually wound up seeing Wanderlust and was pleasantly surprised. Funnier than the trailers conveyed.

    ReplyDelete