Friday, July 15, 2011

Trailer Trash: The July 15th Quickie

It feels good to be back in town for the weekend. My trip to Hartford and New York City was a blast, but I'm looking forward to doing far less walking and much more watching this weekend. Hollywood is helping me out in that regard by releasing what will surely be the biggest film of the summer. But for the few of us not interested in Harry Potter, IMDb lists another book-based major release with a slightly smaller following. 


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2  If you haven't followed the series so far, why would you start now? If you're like me and have seen every film, why in the hell would you stop now?! It's the end of an era and, while there were several missteps along the way (*cough* Half-Blood Prince *cough*) Harry and pals are here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.... and they're all out of bubblegum!


Verdict: Moist With Antici...Pation!


Winnie the Pooh and Tigger, too! And Piglet, and Rabbit and Eeyore, and so many more have returned to the big screen. I'm not exactly sure what the premise of the film is, but as per usual, it includes Pooh trying to get his honey fix, before the DTs set in. Kids, and those of us who are kids-at-heart, should find comfort in this classically animated tale.




Verdict:  It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


My weekend plan is to catch Horrible Bosses followed by Harry Potter. That should give my ass all the lazing about it'll need for the weekend.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

6 comments:

  1. So...how'd you like Potter?

    The more I think about it, the more I kind of wish that it had just ended with Order of the Phoenix. Nothing will top the climax of that one for me, and there wasn't enough memorable elements in the last three films. They're still enjoyable, but they peaked with #5 (and I've always been a #3 lover like so many others).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had heard how awesome the final installment was, and aside from a few small quips, I thought it was great. I full expected to be disappointed, but was shocked I wasn't.

    I felt like 1-5 were their own series and 6,7.1 and 7.2 was a separate trilogy. At least, they handled it that way. 6 was the worst of them all, more of an intro to 7.1 than a continuance of the saga. 7.1 was decent, but dragged a bit. The one plus to 7.1 was that it ended at the exact point I thought it should have.

    #3 was my fave of the bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your theory on the separation of the 8 films. I could go along with that. 6 and the two 7s definitely have a different vibe to them, or at least, they seem to break the structure set up by the first five pretty greatly (probably since the kids aren't really in school much by then).

    I didn't really care for 6 much when I saw it in the theater, but I re-watched it recently in preparation for 7.2 and found it a lot better than I recalled. Still pretty light on action, but heavier on emotion. I'll say I dig it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In 6, I was hung up on how they omitted a huge segment of the book in favor of their finale set up.

    Now that the whole film series is behind me, I wonder if I'd appreciate 6 more. The idea of rewatching them all in order to rank my faves is a great idea in theory, but who knows if I'd ever get around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting perspective on the series, Reel Whore, splitting 'em up like that. Though, rather, I'd combine 1-4 as a series on their own, and 5-7.2 as one long continuous story. 1-4 is all about "I'm a wizard! Look at funzies!" (a crude summation), but 5-7.2 have the singular Harry vs. Voldemort vibe.

    I nearly agree with you that 6 was "the worst of them all", but a recent rewatch of 2 made me cringe. It was a chore to sit through, so that gets my vote.

    Weirdly, Dylan, I feel the opposite with 6. There's just not ENOUGH emotion. The Big Death at the end - completely emotionless; the emotion of the relationships just seems...painful. Is there any specific parts that you thought were exceedingly well done?

    As for 7.1, well, I think it about perfect, but I can get the draggy feeling. But RW, I say if you get the time, all systems a-go for your HARRY POTTER rewatch!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can see 1-4 and 5-7.2. 5 is when the school goes to shit and the kids have to grow up real fast. Nice summation, btw.

    I remember liking 2, but I think it's just because of the basilisk fight more than anything. It was wild to see the film excerpts and be reminded of how young Harry was and how incredibly old Ron now looks!

    I think I'll be in town most of August. Maybe I should set aside time for a Potfest. It'd make for a good post.

    ReplyDelete