Monday, April 21, 2008

Damn You Russell T. Davies!

In case you may have missed it in a previous mention, I try my best to steer clear of spoilers. I like to watch trailers for films and read the occasional bit of casting news or "trouble on the set" articles. If I get even a whiff of some tidbit that may totally ruin a show or film for me I head the other direction. It really sucks when I want to see what my fellow bloggers have to say about a review, but I manage.

Conversely, as a courtesy I try to avoid giving specific details about a film in my reviews, unless I am just spurred by some righteous indignation to do so. When I do slip into spoiler territory, I try to let folks know.

That said, if you are fans of Torchwood and did not see the Season 2 finale which aired this past Saturday on BBC America but fully intend to do so, run away!


***SPOILERS!***

I remember an interview with Russell T. Davies from Season 1 of Torchwood where he said that he wanted his show to be a place where no character was safe; that they could die at any moment because they were constantly in harm's way. I was like hells yeah, gangsta! I mean honestly, how many times can Jack Bauer be beaten, tortured, and blown up, yet still surviv
e to save America (I don't actually watch 24, but I gather this to be the gist of the plot from season to season)?

I love the reality within the fantasy. I love the grit. I love the raw emotion. I love the unexpected. I love that the five stars, John Barrowman, Eve Myles,
Burn Gorman, Naoko Mori and Gareth David-Lloyd, are so damn hot you'd totally jump into a Torchwood orgy given the chance. But no more dreams of six-ways for us fans, thanks a lot.

When Owen Harper, played by Burn Gorman, was shot and died in the middle of Season 2, I was totally shocked. Thanks to Captain Jack's stubbornness and a nifty bit of alien tech, Owen was able to continue to function in a sort of living corpse way; it's a long story, but one well worth watching. Given that he didn't need to breathe or eat but that he also couldn't heal wounds or have sex, I had come to terms with the fact that Gorman's role as Owen would not last beyond this season. Honestly, I was okay with that.


What I was NOT OKAY with was watching Naoko Mori's character, Toshiko Sato, take a bullet to the gut! How could you let her die!? What purpose did it serve?! Was that really necessary?! I've tuned in to this show faithfully every week and this is how you repay me.

Raw emotion and grit fucking suck. I much prefer you keep my favorite characters on the damn show and not go off on a whim and kill 40% of the cast in the span of five minutes. So, so not cool.

I am sure that in a show about alien tech, occasi
onal visits from a Time Lord, and all other sorts of fantastical and impossible occurrences that Owen Harper and Toshiko Sato may somehow return one day. In the meantime, I am going to sulk in my corner.

Burn Gorman, I will miss the mostly crass, somewhat callous yet caring personality that made Dr. Owen Harper, King of the Weevils, so enjoyable.

Naoko Mori, I will miss that tender and concerned Toshiko 'Tosh' Sato who could turn tough as nails when the moment arose. And the old man was right: you do have some great legs!


Don't get me wrong; I still love Torchwood. BBC America must have realized that between its heart-wrenching finale and the depressing Voyage of the Damned episode of Doctor Who that us fans needed a good cheering up. Guess that's why they aired four comedy specials by one of my favorite comedians, Eddie Izzard on Sunday. Tragedy. Comedy. All sorts of good stuff coming from across the pond I tell ya!

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. Oh suck it up. They'll bring another hottie on the show. I was more shocked at Owen dying (again). I don't think they will come back in any way. It was still some good shit though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know there will be other hotties, but Naoko was something else! I knew Owen had to go, the whole no healing, eating or sex would only last so long. I will miss him too.

    Agree 100%. The show is some of the of the best of the tele.

    Can't wait for tonight's Doctor Who. Some more Martha very soon would be nice too.

    ReplyDelete