Friday, July 18, 2008

Who's That Lady? - Christine Baranski

Greetings Stargazers! My latest feature has been simmering in my brainpan for quite some time, but for one reason or 'nother I kept delaying it. I call it Who's That Lady? Those who frequent Blog Cabins will find it functions much like Fletch's Familiar Face-Unknown Name, a feature that focuses on character actors who are recognizable instantly for playing their minor roles with such fervor and passion that you wish they were higher profile. The obvious difference between my column and Fletch's is that my That Guy(s) are, in effect, That Gal(s). After all, women need love, too, and who better than the Reel Whore to give it to them?

I've got dozens of ladies in the queue but I decided to start with one costarring in the non-Batman film of the weekend, Mamma Mia!.

Who's That Lady?
Christine Baranski


Christine Baranski is just a shade younger than my mom, but unlike dear old mammy, she's been acting, dancing and singing up a storm since her teen years on television, film and Broadway. She is a tall drink of a woman at 5' 10" but it's the funny characters she plays that you will most remember.

3 Unforgettable Roles
The Birdcage - Knowing the main character, Val, couldn't really have been the offspring of two gay men, Christine enters as Katherine Archer, the egg-and-womb of the equation, adding even more wild antics and wackiness to this hilarious film.

Chicago
- As the intrepid reporter Mary Sunshine, Chrisitine helps fuel public interest in the tragic story of Roxie Hart's downward spiral in the big city's devilish jazz and booze scene.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas - As the center of affection for both the Mayor of Whoville and the Grinch, Martha May Whovier may be Christine's most desirable character, even if she is all Who'd up.

Saw it, but even I don't remember her in it!
Maybe I was too young to appreciate her talent, or maybe her role was far too small. Either way, I'd almost certainly watch these films again just to enjoy Christine’s performance.

Films: Jeffrey, The Ref, Addams Family Values, Bulworth, Cruel Intentions, Bowfinger

From what I've seen she frequently plays the lead actress's funny, quirky friend or the story's mildly obnoxious skeptic/shrew. In addition to her film roles, she has appeared in several television shows including Cybil. She also has won two Tony's for Best Featured Actress in a Play. Guess I'm not the only one who appreciates her talent. If you'd like to see what you may know her from, check out her IMDB and Wikipedia info.

Instead of trying to scrounge up more info, I think this should be sufficient to pique your interest in Mrs. Baranski. It may even be worth sitting through the vocal stylings of Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan just to see Christine Baranski.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

3 comments:

  1. Veeeerrry nice feature.

    I've been a fan of Baranski's since her turn on Cybill Shepherd's sitcom (yeah, I saw a few episodes). My favorite role remains The Birdcage, but it's always great to see her pop up. She brings charm, class, and a spark like few others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice stuff Wayward - hey I'm in Charlotte now, if you're ever around these parts. Totally revamped my blog, you should stop by and let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys.

    @Fletch- glad it meets your approval since it was heavily influenced by your feature.

    @the fraze- My in-laws live in Charlay and we're past due for a visit. I'll let you know when our next trip is. Love the new layout on your site! I'll be back there to read your Stepbrothers & Dark Knight reviews once I see them myself.

    ReplyDelete