Monday, February 16, 2009

MMM: And the Oscar Goes to...

We're less than a week away from Hollywood's big night; The Academy Awards. This year we have three selections in the category for Best Song. And the nominees are:

“Down to Earth” from WALL-E (Walt Disney),
Music by Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman, Lyric by Peter Gabriel.

“Jai Ho” from Slumdog Millionaire (Fox Searchlight),
Music by A.R. Rahman, Lyric by Gulzar.

“O Saya” from Slumdog Millionaire (Fox Searchlight),
Music and Lyric by A.R. Rahman and Maya Arulpragasam.

If you'd like to read a critique of the three songs, I suggest you venture over to the post LAMB Devours the Oscars - Best Original Song written by Kirby of Movie Dearest. It's a brief but concise prediction of the upcoming winner. In fact, if you have an Oscar Pool going at work or among your friends, the LAMB Devours the Oscars series is an excellent source to get a leg up on your ballot.

Reviewing these three songs, my personal favorite is not Gabrielle's Down to Earth, though I'm sure it will win. I've got nothing against Peter; I enjoy his music. I wouldn't have driven to Virginia for his concert if I didn't. No my choice comes from Slumdog Millionaire. I loved the peppy finale Jai Ho offers up but for me O Saya stuck with me long after I left the theater. A.R. Rahman's grooves combined with the lyrics of Maya Arulpragasam (M.I.A.) were just spot on for the tribulations of Jamal Malik. That's what I think makes the best song.

If you've not heard it, now's your chance. I wanted to find an actual video for the song, but this montage of M.I.A. photos was the best out there. Not trying to knocking the vid's creator, but would it have killed you to throw in some stills of Rahman?

A.R. Rahman and M.I.A. - O Saya



I'd also love to see them win just to see if motherhood has changed M.I.A.'s fashion sense. I know folks were knockin' her Grammy outfit, but I got nothing but love for her and her individualized tastes.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment