Friday, March 18, 2011

Trailer Trash: The March 18th Quickie

Another week has flown by and all this blog has to show for it is a Monday Mood Music and now this Trailer Trash. I had the best of blogging intentions this week, but intentions don't write posts apparently. Maybe now that my allergies are under control, I can get on top of my homework assignments and actually have time at night to write about all the new releases I've seen lately.

For now you will have to settle for my take on this week's latest set of new releases. Skimming over them I am surprised to find that, on the whole, they don't suck nearly as hard as those from past weeks. Too bad they will be up against the NCAA tournament. Here's the three major releases according to IMDb that will lose out to March Madness.


Limitless A busy poster and fast-paced trailer really do go a long way towards getting the blood racing for Limitless. It helps to have a slick and sexy Bradley Cooper dominating most of the trailer, too (although a little more Abbie Cornish wouldn't have hurt). I'm not sure how someone so super smart as post-pill Bradley allows himself to get tangled up with a seedy DeNiro, but I guess I'll have to watch and find out.


Verdict: Moist With Antici...Pation!


Paul It's a little disappointing this isn't a biopic about Paul Rudd and how much fans awesome sauce him. This is, however, the latest from Pegg & Frost; the fellas behind Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. It also stars Seth Rogen who I've nearly had my fill of in recent months. Still, the supporting cast looks promising, and I'm looking for good laughs, not-so-terrible CGI, and lots of spoofing.


Verdict: Moist With Antici...Pation!
P.S. I actually caught this at a sneak peek earlier this week, and it lived up to my hopes. Yay!

The Lincoln Lawyer All right. All right, all right, all right. I'm drawn to William H. Macy's wookie mop as much as I am the tense atmosphere between McConaughey and Phillippe. It may also be that I'm drawn to seeing a mid-80's Lincoln Town Car onscreen; I used to run my pimp game from one back in the day. Still, some unsurprising twist seems to be lurking around the corner which makes me think I can wait to catch this.


Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


I'm also stoked to see Paul Giamatti's Win Win though who knows when it'll get around to opening here. 

Whether it be thanks to basketball or movies, hope everyone has a great weekend!
.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

6 comments:

  1. I feel your pain about blogging. Homework keeps on piling on and all I can end up writing are little nuggets I can type up in forty minutes. The pain of universities.

    Yep, PAUL: Most With Antici...Pation, indeed! Cannot wait to see this tomorrow!

    With LINCOLN LAWYER, the only thing I'm looking forward to is not having to watch the blasted TV Spot again and again and again and again.

    On a completely unrelated note, if memory serves me right you're a DOCTOR WHO fan, so in case you didn't read the news, Series 6 premieres on BBC America 23 April. Now THAT deserves a good ol' "Antici...Pation!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start chiseling out 40 minute blocks for blogging. I've got plenty to write about, just need the time and motivation.

    I assume you've seen Paul by now. Looking forward to your thoughts.

    I saw the ads for Doctor Who over the weekend. I can't wait! I might have to throw a premier party.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll rent Limitless.

    I would have seen Lincoln Lawyer except that they give away the whole film in the trailers and commercials. Stupid marketing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate those play-by-play trailers like Lincoln Lawyer. Save a few surprises for the theater morons.

    Limitless is on my cheap theater run for late April-early May.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have seen Paul and Limitless from this list (and wouldn't mind catching Win-Win, though I'm not sure if or when that will happen).

    Was pretty disappointed with Paul...hard not to be charmed by the guys, I just didn't find it all that funny or deep enough with the references.

    Limitless was a pleasant surprise. The story is a bit rote - actually, the movie has several problems, but I enjoyed it a lot nonetheless. Style wins!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Win Win is slated to open here on April 8th. Can't wait.

    I liked Paul and was glad they didn't make the whole movie one big reference fest.

    Saw Limitless Saturday. Enjoyed it, but the repetition did get a little tiresome.

    ReplyDelete