Monday, June 29, 2009

MMM: Do You Remember the Time?

I won't be posting any Michael Jackson music today. The radio stations and television stations have the tributes pretty much covered. Besides, I don't think I could choose a single song from his legacy that I'd want to hear above all the others.

By far Michael Jackson's music is the most widely recognizable and enjoyed. I think everyone around my age attempted the moonwalk or ran around the house wearing a single glove at least once during their youth. If you don't think you did, ask your mom, I'm sure she remembers. She may even have pictures. Now that he's passed, what can we fans expect in the coming years?

Back in my parent's youth, singer-songwriter Don McLean used the term "The Day the Music Died" to refer to the loss of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and The Big Bopper in a plane crash on February 3, 1959. For their generation, the loss of those great performers was a tragic period in music history.

I've been wondering what term, a term not coined by the news media, will be used to remind us of Michael Jackson's passing? Will the Jackson family, Quincy Jones and Will.i.am gather artists from the world over to commemorate his passing in song? Will fans see this as a cheap attempt to capitalize off the legend's death? We'll have to wait and see what develops. Regardless, Michael Jackson will live on forever through his music.

Don McLean's American Pie isn't really reminiscent of the style of Michael Jackson and some of the phrasing is a bit dated, but the sentiment feels appropriate.

Don McLean - American Pie


What sort of tribute would you like to see for Michael Jackson?

Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment