Friday, January 28, 2011

Trailer Trash: The January 28th Quickie

Welcome, stargazers, to the last week of January releases. I'd say that we've turned a corner, but I have seen the future that is February and it does not bode well. Gnomeo & Juliet, Big Mommas: Like Father, Like Son, Justin Bieber: Never Say Never?! Can we PLEASE skip on over to March? P-P-PLEASE, Eddie?

The future is for worrying about tomorrow. Today we're concerned with the latest Hollywood offerings. According to IMDb this means two major releases and two limited releases. One limited release, Biutiful, has already picked up a couple of Oscar noms despite barely opening stateside. Snub me, my friend? No, snub you! I'm certain my lack of trailer coverage will cripple it's box office receipts. The real question is, will my reaction to the major releases influence patrons?


The Mechanic January's nearly gone, but finally there's a new release I'm anxious to see. The poster is boring, the TV spots are pathetic, but at least the official trailer gives some gist of the plot. I'm a fan of both Jason Statham and Ben Foster and it feels like ages since Donald Sutherland's been let loose to chew up the scenery, but the biggest selling point? The Restricted shingle promises strong brutal violence throughout, language, some sexual content and nudity. That's what I'm talkin' about! 

Verdict: Moist With Antici...Pation!


The Rite 2010 was not kind to Anthony Hopkins and if The Rite trailers are any indication, 2011 is intent to keep kicking the man while he's down. The premise entices me to go, but The Book of Eli and The Unborn have left me theater-shy when it comes to January-released, religious-themed thrillers. Despite the deep-seated urge to see Rutger Hauer on the big screen, the trailers compel me to steer clear. Get behind me, Satan! Get behind me!

Verdict: Exercise the Right to Cinematic Celibacy.


That's all she wrote, folks. Proofreading my post, I realize I made three references to two 80's films. Since one is rather obvious, I'll give mad kudos to anyone who can name the other, twice-referenced film.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment