Monday, August 17, 2009

MMM: I Go to Work

This week's Monday Mood Music selection got stuck in my head as I was making changes to the site. If you've already answered the poll question, then you know where this is heading.

The funny thing is, aside from the title, the song itself really has nothing to do with reinvention or improvement. This old school jam was written by Mohandas Dewese, a.k.a. Kool Moe Dee, in the late eighties as a challenge to rapper LL Cool J. Back in the day, Kool Moe Dee and others claimed that LL was copping their styles. I don't really remember this beef, but after all I was twelve at the time. Most likely I had both my Kool Moe Dee and LL Cool J cassettes all stored in the same box ignorant of these rappers' conflict.

Twenty years later, there are whispers of Kool hitting the rap scene once more to treat audiences to some grown man hiphop. I guess he can't really tell us not to call it a comeback. Maybe his first single during his resurgence should be this song updated to 2009. What say you?

Kool Moe Dee - How Ya Like Me Now


By the by, I LOVE this video. The choreography and production values remind me of such a simpler time. It also reminds me that I probably thought this was the ish back in the day. My how times have changed.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. I had the same kind of nostalgic craving earlier this week and was watching Big Daddy Kane vids on YouTube in order to satisfy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. BDK...and I thought I was reaching back w/ KMD. It's funny how we can get on one of those throwback kicks.

    ReplyDelete