Friday, August 21, 2009

Trailer Trash: The August 21st Quickie

Thus arrives the third week of August releases. After last week's scattershot films, this week offers very little in more than ways than one. Lucky for me, lots of decent looking films are playing at the second-run theater. I have a feeling I'll be sitting semi-comfortably in a broken-down seat watching grainy prints with the waft of funky carpet in my nostrils. Ahhhh, cheap, dirty cinema.

Even though I'll be watching older
movies, let's not get it twisted. I'm here to talk about current releases. Here's today's release list according to IMDb:


Inglorious Basterds (08.21) You'd think I'd be chomping at the bit for Tarantino's latest opus, but honestly, Basterds isn't putting a fire under my ass. This is mainly because I've seen the teaser trailer sevenfuckinteen million times! Even though the newest trailer make it infinitely more interesting, if I have to look at Eli Roth's greasy shit-eating smirk once more, I'm going to vomit...profusely.

Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


Casi divas (08.21 ltd.) After sitting through Food, Inc. and District 9 last weekend, I could go for something light and fluffy. If I were lucky, this would open here just for me. Following these four women in their endeavor to attain diva status looks to be fun and heartfelt. It'll also be a nice Hispanic hold me over until the new season of Ugly Betty returns.

Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


Post Grad (08.21) This doesn't look all that offensive to my delicate palate, but it doesn't look appetizing either. The only reason I'm looking twice at this is the thin hope that a) Jane Lynch is in more than two scenes, and that b) Michael Keaton will be Mr. Mom funny and not White Noise painful.


Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.



My One and Only (08.21 ltd.) A movie about the formative years of George Hamilton will draw only those who remember the big one, or those still volunteering at the home after school. Plus, I'd have to sit and stare at Lemonface for a couple hours. Since I had my fill of clicking oxygen tanks with the Julie & Julia audience and I threw Zellweger a six-pence with New in Town, this will be a huge pass.

Verdict: Exercise the Right To Cinematic Celibacy.


***
Next week is the last week of August and you know what that means: pre-PRE-Halloween horror movies and more movies you've probably never heard of nor cared to. You won't wanna miss it!

Large Association of Movie Blogs

7 comments:

  1. wow. looks like you won't be cuddling up for real with anyone this month...

    know what you mean about basterds--it's playing one block from me and i still haven't walked over to see it.

    my one and only: WTF? who asked for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My One and Only really, really perplexes me. This gets put on screens, but so many other solid movies get dumped straight in the DVD bin? Guess it pays to get a big name on board.

    I think I will break down and see the Basterds this weekend. With the two horror movies and this out, I can make a bloody massacre weekend of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually saw it over the weekend. It was really good. I had wanted to post my review before heading on vacay, but looks like it will wait until I return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. btw: finally saw it too--can't wait to read your thoughts....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the vacay wishes. It was a much needed rest. Now that I'm back I've got to get back in the writing groove once again so I can churn out Basterds, 9, Extract, etc...

    ReplyDelete