Friday, September 17, 2010

Trailer Trash: The September 17th Quickie

Welcome to the third week of September's quick and dirty Trailer Trash series. IMDb reports eight new releases opening this weekend, four of which are limited. Of those limited, only Jack Goes Boating looks even remotely interesting. The four major releases are a mixed bag at best. Here's how this week's offerings float my boat:


Alpha and Omega (09.17) What's it been, two weeks since Justin Long was Going the Distance with Drew Barrymore and already he's steppin' out? Granted, it's for a chance to 'howl' with Hayden Panettiere, but did he not see how poorly animated they are? Why Lionsgate is trying to get into family entertainment baffles me, but not nearly as much as who greenlit this sloppy-looking mess.



Verdict: Exercise the Right to Cinematic Celibacy


Devil (09.17) I think Universal was too little, too late in dissociating The Night Chronicles moniker from the posters and trailers. I still recall sitting in an audience that booed and jeered when M. Night's name appeared. Even if I didn't know the Shyamalan curse had tainted this project, this latest horror offering will fail for two reasons; it's rated PG-13 and I can pretty much guess which of these five people is a devil in disguise. Care to make a wager?



Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


The Town (09.17) Either Ben Affleck is itching to garner a Best Acting nod from the Academy like his heterosexual lifemate Matt, or he's just in the mood to dust off his Woody Allen ego. Since The Town trailers have had me hooked since first viewing, I ain't mad at him. Phantoms, Forces of Nature, Paycheck; now those are reasons to be mad at him.




Verdict: Moist With Antici...Pation!


Easy A (09.17) You know you have to see what may or may not be the last movie of the may-or-may-not-be-retired Amanda Bynes! Seriously, I have much faith in the future uber-stardom of Emma Stone so there's no way I'm missing out on her rise to the top. Besides, there's a good chance the script is pretty special, considering Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson are both co-starring.


Verdict: Moist With Antici...Pation!

Who could say no to this face:


Next Friday will mark the last of these quickie Trailer Trash installments. That is, unless you stargazers enjoy these short bursts of insight over the lengthy gang bangs. Catch you on the flip side!

Large Association of Movie Blogs

4 comments:

  1. Right there with you on these, though mark me down to "Don't Want to Be Alone" for Easy A - it looks good for what it is (and has Stanley Tucci and Pat Clarkson!), but it still isn't calling to me. I can wait and see on that one.

    And I vote for the Quickies! Like the format here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it wasn't for Emma Stone, Easy A would be an "Alone" for me, too. I'm kind of behind right now, though, so I'm not sure when I'll catch it.

    I may switch to the Quickies for a while. Thanks for the feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. NO MORE TRAILER TRASH QUICKIES?

    ummmmm...no. that's not gonna work out for me, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @IW: Glad I kept the quickies coming these past two months. It's definitely lessened the load for me. It's also more useful since they are constantly changing release dates during the 23rd hour nowadays.

    ReplyDelete