Friday, January 21, 2011

Trailer Trash: The January 21st Quickie

Since the Golden Globes have crowned their best of 2010, I suspect most stargazers will be running out to finally watch Black Swan, The Social Network, or The Fighter this weekend instead of worrying about the latest new releases. If you're like me and have already seen all the big award contenders, you're only left with this week's scraps. According to IMDb those scraps include two major releases. At least these films look better than the offerings of the last two weeks...marginally better that is.


The Company Men Despite having the weight of four Academy Award winners, this fall release was quickly swept into the dregs of the new year. My guess is experiencing our current economic crises through a hopeful Hollywood lens is the last thing audiences want to do at the moment. Expect this to be a film worth watching...a few years from now.




Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


No Strings Attached Paramount's poised to capitalize from the Natalie Portman buzz, more so with the power of the Golden Globe behind her. Taffy never needed prestige to convince me to see her movies, but even I have pause to watch her with Mr. Demi. "The Kutcher Plus" method of romancing audiences; pairing him with love interests like Brittany Murphy, Zoe Saldana, Cameron Diaz, Kevin Costner and Katherine Heigl has had varied results.


Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


There's also a limited release opening this weekend, but I'm expecting the dramatic true story, The Way Back, will be receiving even less buzz than our major releases in this post-Globe, pre-Oscar atmosphere. To those of you who noticed the Green Hornet review I promised is still missing from the site, I promise it is forthcoming. It's just taken me longer than I thought to wrap my head around the silliness.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment