Friday, May 6, 2011

Trailer Trash: The May 6th Quickie

May looks like it is not only bringing warmer weather, but it may have also brought us some interesting cinematic fare. It's either that or all the Vitamin D from these past few sunny days have made me more amicable and agreeable. This week offers up three major releases and I lost count of the limited releases listed on IMDb. On an interesting side note, Mel Gibson's new movie, The Beaver, opens in select cities this weekend. Remember when he used to dominate the summer box office? Yeah, me too.

Moving on...


Thor  Of all the summer comic movies, Thor isn't at the top of my list, but my gut is telling me it'll surprise me just as Iron Man did. Granted Chris Hemsworth doesn't seem to have the charisma of Robert Downey, Jr., but so few do. Maybe I've got too much faith in Kenneth Branagh's direction, but Marvel has too much invested in their Avengers saga to make another Hulk-sized misstep.



Verdict: Moist With Antici...Pation!


Something Borrowed  Those who know me, know Kate Hudson is in my top 3 actresses I'd prefer to never see in in a movie. Ginnifer Goodwin, however, has been on both my actresses-to-watch and oh-so-cute lists ever since Tad Hamilton and I've got to support her first lead role. I'd prefer to see her in a movie where the poster isn't a generic piece of shit and the trailers don't give away every detail, but what can you do?


Verdict:  It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


Jumping the Broom  Any film whose trailer opens with Paula Patton in lacy lingerie already has one point in its favor. Also all audiences need to be reminded that black movies can be made without the taint of Ice Cube or Tyler Perry. From a story standpoint, it doesn't look revelational, but I'm willing to give such a good cast the chance to impress.




Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.


Hobo with a Shotgun (limited) Rutger Hauer. Is. A. Hobo. With a. Shotgun. Why would I not want to see this?! It's going to be like Blind Fury except this time Rutger's not blind, and instead of kicking ass with a sword, he's shooting up folks with a shotgun! I especially like the insane, drug-enhanced Death Wish 3 vibe the villains give off. Can't wait to see Hauer mow them all over...
with his shotgun.


Verdict: Moist With Antici...Pation!

Unfortunately, Hobo With A Shotgun isn't playing in my area. If anyone gets the chance to see it, don't rub it too much. Besides, I hear it'll be on DVD soon so I guess I can make due with renting it. Have a good one!

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. Who's keeping Kate company in your trio of unliked actresses?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, they know who they are! :-)

    ReplyDelete