Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Week of Reel Whorror!: Pointless Nostalgia Day 3

Welcome to Day 3 of the
Week of Reel WHorror!


Yesterday was all about the first horror movie I ever watched alone. But the first scary movie I ever watched? Ghostbusters! In all honesty, I'd probably watched dozens of movies on Saturday's Million Dollar Matinee broadcast. However, Ghostbusters was the first movie I experienced in my parent's living room that wasn't interrupted by commercial breaks. Let's set the scene.

I seem to recall it was Christmas '85 (possibly '86) and waiting under the tree was a shiny VHS player. Oh, the excitement! To introduce our family to the world of at-home entertainment, we had four movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Care Bears Movie (for my little sister, I swear!), Silverado and Ghostbusters! I'm sure we sat down and watched all of them that very day while we unwrapped our presents and played with our toys. The rest of the day was pretty much a blur.

I had to have watched Ghostbusters several more times and my sister practically burned a hole in The Care Bears Movie before we received the crushing news; the movies were not ours to keep, but Santa had rented them for our enjoyment. Cheap-ass fat man. I learned this when my mom stopped me from trying to peel off the barcode stuck to the side of the tape. What a sad day it was when we had to return those five tapes. That's right; turns out there was a fifth movie I knew nothing about, though now I have a pretty good inkling where Santa's mind was at. But I digress. I can't begin to describe you how exciting it was to see all those movies lining the walls of the video store and knowing that for just a few bucks, they were ours...for three days. So what do I think of the movie?


Ghostbusters


Release: 06.08.84
DVD Release: 06.29.99
Rated PG
1 hour, 45 minutes

See It, Take a Friend, Buy the DVD!



Seriously?! How can you expect me to review a cornerstone of my infatuation with film? I've seen this movie so many times I can't even watch it like a normal person. I can't see how deconstructing, critiquing and analyzing one of my all-time favorite movies would do anything except destroy my cherished childhood memories. Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Harold Ramis and Ernie Hudson are awesome and that's that!

You don't know how many times the phrase, "we came, we saw, we kicked its ass!" has been uttered in my house. You guys sure did, Bill, you sure did.

Are you, Alice, menstruating right now?

Large Association of Movie Blogs

4 comments:

  1. Except for the Care Bears (I really can't speak to that), those other three movies are pretty a holy trifecta. To this day, if Silverado is on cable, I must stop whatever I'm doing, sit down and watch it. (Come to think about it, I mostly have to do that for Ghostbusters and RotLA too.) Nice memory!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to watch Silverdo next time it comes on cable, I haven't seen it in ages. I'm amazed I even remembered the movies that we got.

    Thanks for reading! I was beginning to worry no one was checkin' 'em out my walk down memory lane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I was all over Ghostbusters growing up too. But my favorite line is,"I feel so funky!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another great line! I love the way he just flounders on the floor like a turtle on his back. Bill Murrary killed in GB.

    ReplyDelete