Saturday, January 12, 2008

Confessions of a Reel Whore, Part II

I hope you enjoyed the first installment of my 2007 recap. If you're just tuning in, be sure to start from the beginning so you won't miss a thing:

Part I

For those who've been hanging on my every word, let's move along. As I mentioned yesterday, I'll be presenting the award to the Sexiest Actress of 2007 and recognizing the six oh-so-close runner-ups.

Before we proceed to that delectable task I'd like to recognize a few films that, had I found a few more spare moments in my life last year, I would have not missed. As it was, I did miss them, and I will do whatever I can in 2008 to amend that misstep. My Top 7 Must Do Films are:

The Sloppy Seconds:

Paris, je t'aime - True confession time. When this released here I assumed it was just some subtitled French romance that I wouldn't get, and so I didn't go. It wasn't until recently that comments by fellow bloggers and critics made me wish I had watched the trailer sooner.

Black Sheep - From the first time I saw this trailer I knew this was going to be friggin' retarded, and I wanted to be the first person to say I saw it. It never opened here, and sad to admit, never made it to my Netflix queue...until now.

Hatchet - Another case of a much anticipated horror flick that never made it to Po'Dunk, NC. That being said, I COULD have rented it in my spare time, and I fully intend to do that, sometime.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford - I so wanted to see this film before it came out. Then it came out and my excuse for not seeing it: I saw that it clocked in at close to three hours long! Not that I can't sit for that long, but it was impossible to convince anyone else to join me.

Se, jie (Lust, Caution) - I really have no excuse for not getting off my duff to see a film featuring sexy Asian women with strong sexual content. I have shamed myself.

War - For those who love martial arts movies, who wouldn't want to see a movie where Jason Statham and Jet Li kick each other's ass? I think my hectic dodgeball schedule got in the way. I must get my priorities straight!

And the Winner is:

Rescue Dawn - This somehow escaped my viewing and it's the one I regret the most. Not only am I an admitted lover of all things Bale, but I think it's a crime that Steve Zhan isn't more appreciated. I've seen him hilarious and touching in various buddy roles, and it's time he is recognized. But I digress; I vow that these two won't have to wait for my patronage much longer.

rescue dawn

I know some of you may be wondering "what about all those great November-December releases you were stoked to see?" Well, as my wife pointed out, I shouldn't count films that have yet to release here. I excluded 4 luni, 3 saptamani si 2 zile (4 Months, 3 Weeks, and 2 Days); Southland Tales; [Rec]; The Savages; There Will Be Blood; El Orfanato (the Orphange); and The Bucket List because the only way I could have seen these in 2007 were if I had made a special trip to NY or LA. I'm a whore, but not that much of one.

Award #2: Sexiest Actress of 2007

I have stalled long enough. After my Sexiest Actor award posting, many readers commented that I may not be capable of selecting the sultriest and steamiest women from 2007. If after seeing these lovely ladies in these roles you aren't turned on, you, my friend, may be the one with the problem.

The Sloppy Seconds:

karan Amara Karan - Those few Wes Anderson fans out there know this lady from The Darjeeling Limited and those who don't need to get onboard. If journeys across foreign lands, experiences of exotic cultures and crazy nasty sex with a sultry stranger are your turn-ons, Karan's minor role will have you wishing she was the star of the show.
Emily Blunt - As soon as I saw a nearly naked Blunt sauntering down a set of stairs in Charlie Wilson's War, I knew she was a lock for this list. Her equally minor and fairly sexy role in Dan in Real Life put her in a dead heat for taking this year's title. Maybe if her roles had been bigger she'd have won. Either way I am still having to wipe the, um, drool from my keyboard over her. 44
GRIND HOUSE (Death Proof)
Tracie Thoms - Miss Thoms played Stuntwoman Kim in the Death Proof segment of Grindhouse. What's not to love about a no-nonsense, gun-toting, muscle-car driving, trash-talking, foul-mouthed tomboy who looks like she had to be poured into her jeans. She's the type of chick who can't let you go without tapping that ass!
zuleikha
Zuleikha Robinson - It wasn't until a second sifting through my list that I even recalled this truly beautiful woman. She plays one of Kal Penn's many love interests in The Namesake. Sexy glasses, oceans of hair and a voluptuous body will have you begging for release from this siren's call.

marisa Marisa Tomei - I remember thinking Marisa looked kinda steamy in Wild Hogs, she being the only good thing about that movie. Then I saw her trotting around in Before the Devil Knows You're Dead all sexed-up and ex-po-zed, and was like, whoa! Who knew that twenty years after A Different World debuted, it'd be that goofy white chick and not Lisa Bonet that I'd be jonesin' for?!

Olga Kurylenko - I know this seductive chica was wearing clothes in The Hitman but I don't know why she bothered. When she wasn't naked, you could see through nearly every outfit she wore. Trust me, I wasn't complaining one bit! She's recently been confirmed as the next Bond Girl which just proves that the series keeps getting better and better. 04uu4

And the award for Sexiest Actress of 2007 goes to:

Rose McGowan - While she appeared in both segments of Grindhouse, it was her role as Cherry Darling that will immediately have you upright in your seat. Her transformation from down-trodden damsel in distress to destructionatrix makes her even more desirable. Add in a sensuous sex scene, not to mention her great comedic timing, and she's damn near the perfect woman. Looking back, I bet Marilyn Manson wishes he had locked that down!

rose-mcgowan

Some of you may be wondering why I just didn't cop out and do a whole Women of Grindhouse for the #1 position? While it is true that Rosario Dawson and Sydney Poitier were damn close to making this list, lumping all the ladies would mean including certain women I just couldn't get down with (cough Ferlito cough).

Well folks, I definitely need a break after that steamy walk down memory lane. Actually, I need a few minutes to myself, a cold shower, and a cigarette! TMI? See you back tomorrow for day 3 of Confessions of a Reel Whore.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment