Monday, May 4, 2009

MMM: Weeping Butterfly Tears

In a moment, do you ever find yourself asking "What ever happened to...?" That's the question that crossed my mind a couple weeks back when this song came on the radio. It'd been a good long while since I had heard it, but I immediately wondered what fate had befallen the artist.

Was he on the road to a comeback? Did he suffer a tragic accident? Did he find religion and give up the hedonism of the pop life?

It turns out those questions don't have simple answers. According to Wikipedia, Terence Trent D'Arby "died a noble death" on October 4, 2001. Don't be sad, Terence Trent D'Arby was only the stage name of Terence Trent Howard who legally changed his name on that date to Sananda Maitreya. His new name came to him in a series of dreams after he meditated for a better representation of his identity as an artist.

In fact, fans of D'ar...um, Maitreya will be happy to learn that he has been putting out albums for most of the noughties and even has a new album, NIGOR MORTIS available. I haven't had a chance to sample Maitreya's newest material, but I am more than curious. In the meantime, I'd like to pay tribute to his long-deceased image of the eighties.

Terence Trent D'arby - Wishing Well



Wow, you discover something new everyday. I think I'll dig up more of these "What ever happened to...?" stories in the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. When are you going to feature Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam? What's a girl gotta do to hear some "Lost in Emotion" from her favorite blog?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll add LL & CJ to the queue. You know I need to be in the right mood to select the music.

    ReplyDelete