Friday, October 10, 2008

Trailer Trash: The October 10th Quickie

My beloved Gang Bang hit a stumbling block this month. Due in part to my absence, but also because I couldn't suffer through watching the Beverly Hills Chihuahua trailer one more time. Evidently, I am in the minority since tons of folks decided watching those nasty talking rats was the can't miss event of the year. Times like this make me glad I haven't been to the theater in over two weeks.

At any rate, with the October Gang Bang a shambles, I will salvage the Trailer Trash the next best way, here's a quickie rundown of IMDB's listed releases for the week of October 10th:


Body of Lies Pairing Russell Crowe and director Ridley Scott in an action-thriller is a win-win. Toss in Leonardo DiCaprio whose proven he can pull of a decent thriller and that makes three reasons Body of Lies will be awesome. If I had to pick one film to make my triumphant return to the box office, this would be it.


Verdict:
Moist With Antici...Pation!




City of Ember Until Tim Robbins hocked this on The Daily Show, I'd never heard of it. The dying underground city sounded interesting but then I saw the trailer and lost what little interest I had. Sure Bill Murray and Robbins stars, but it reeks with the stench of Walden Media. Given their track record, I'll read the book instead.


Verdict:
Exercise the Right To Cinematic Celibacy.



Quarantine It'd be simple to make a joke about leaving this diseased film isolated. Surprisingly, it looks creepy and intense; plus it's one of the only horror flicks releasing in October. I'd much rather see the Spanish original [REC], but until it's available in the US, I'll make due.



Verdict:
Moist With Antici...Pation!




RocknRolla (limited) Director Guy Ritchie seems to win some and lose some. Luckily, RocknRolla oozes the same machismo as Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Snatch. It also has the benefit of Gerard Butler, Tom Wilkinson and Idris Elba as part of the eclectic cast. This won't open locally anytime soon, but I'll be there when it does.

Verdict: Moist With Antici...Pation!



Happy-Go-Lucky (limited) It's been a while since we've been treated to a good 'ol British romp. Happy-Go-Lucky and main player Sally Hawkins looks like it will deliver exactly that. It has an Amelie quirkiness except no nifty visual effects. I worry the cutesy quirk, and my luck, will run out before the credits roll.


Verdict:
It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.




Nights and Weekends (limited) Mattie and James are dealing with the rising tension of their long distance relations-z-z-z-zzzz. Uh, sorry. Yeah, this looks thoughtful, authentic and extremely indie. It also looks like a giant snooze fest full of blah, blah, blah.



Verdict:
Exercise the Right To Cinematic Celibacy.


That's all she wrote. I'll have another Trailer Trash quickie lined up for next week.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

2 comments:

  1. lol at nights and weekends...how true! quarantine wasn't bad, but of course rec was much better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure my wife will drag me too N&W - she likes the talkies.

    I gotta see REC! Heck, I still need to see Quarantine while I'm t it.

    ReplyDelete