Thursday, October 23, 2008

Trailer Trash: The October 24th Quickie

It's the end of yet another week in October meaning it's time to run through the openers coming our way. I can hardly believe it, but IMDB lists nine F'n movies releasing this week. Granted, many of the films are limited, but that's a whole lotta choices. Let's see how many I can squeeze into this quickie.


High School Musical 3: Senior Year Better known as HSM3. I got to be honest here; never seen the first two so why would I want to start now? The trailer does make me want to re-watch Not Another Teen Movie for the 100th time. On another note, when will this trend of turning television fodder (Hannah Montana, Sex and the City, Star Wars: Clone Wars and now this) into ticketed fare end?

Verdict: Exercise the Right To Cinematic Celibacy.



Changeling (limited) Being a huge Clint Eastwood fan, I may be biased when I say this looks phenomenal. It's intense and Jolie looks to be aiming her sights for another Oscar. Playing opposite her is one of my faves, Jeffrey Donovan of Burn Notice fame. Clint has the habit of making films long, but every moment will surely have its purpose.


Verdict:
Moist With Antici...Pation!



Pride and Glory Good cop. Dirty Cop. Brothers at odds. I've been sold this tale before though the acting should be on point. Colin Farrell and Edward Norton vie to be the toughest nut to crack while Jon is reminds us Angelina isn't the only Voight with acting gravitas. But my real excitement is I saw Rick "Spanish" Gonzales being tossed about in one scene. If you could measure the worth of a movie with Spanish's appearance, well...

Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.



Passengers This flick is Anne Hathaway's horror film debut, unless you count Princess Diaries. I hadn't seen anything about this until I perused the IMDB list. It looks more thrilling than horrific but Patrick Wilson does add a nice creepiness factor despite being so hunky. I'm thinking this will be a little too soft to sate my horror hunger and too convoluted to meet my thriller needs.

Verdict: Exercise the Right To Cinematic Celibacy.



Saw V Saw I, II and III were great. I proclaimed it to be one of the better horror series to be developed in the new millennium. Then came Saw IV and shattered my love affair. I swore off the series after seeing that mess. Now here comes #5. I want to stay away. The trailer doesn't pique my interest, aside from Meagan Good's appearance. Then again, I've seen the first four so why stop now? Help me, please.

Verdict: It's Friday, I Don't Want to be Alone.



Synecdoche, New York (limited) Bizarre. That's the first word that comes to my mind but when isn't a great Charlie Kaufman story labeled that way? Hoffman, through all his various layers of make-up, is drawing me in with his performance. There is also the great supporting cast, including Catherine Keener and Hope Davis, to consider. If, and when, it comes to my local arthouse theater, I'll give this a chance.

Verdict:
Moist With Antici...Pation!



I know there are more films to go, but damn if nine isn't just too many to cover for a quickie! The final three, I've Loved You So Long, Let the Right One In, and Fears of the Dark may be some of the best films releasing this week for all I know, but given their very limited release status it's safe to say they won't make it my way until I make it a Netflix night.

Large Association of Movie Blogs

No comments:

Post a Comment